There have been two stadia on the site: one that was called the Deutsches Stadion, which was built for the aborted 1916 Summer Olympics, and the present-day facility. Both were designed by members of the same family, the first by Otto March and the second by his son Werner March.
It is the second biggest stadium in Germany behind Signal Iduna Park and has been the home stadium of the Hertha Berlin football team since 1963.
The current Olympiastadion was originally built for the 1936 Summer Olympics in the southern part of the Reichssportfeld (today Olympiapark Berlin). During World War II, the area suffered little damage. After the war, the British
military occupation used the northern part of the Reichssportfeld as
its headquarters until 1949. From 1951 to 2005, the Olympischer Platz
had a giant antenna transmitting for all the portable radios in Berlin.
Aside from its use as an Olympic stadium, the Olympiastadion has a strong footballing tradition. It was used for 3 matches in the 1974 FIFA World Cup. It hosted six matches, including the final, in the 2006 FIFA World Cup and was renovated for that reason. The German Cup
final match is held each year at the Olympiastadion. The stadium sees
use in other sports as well; at one point it held the world record for
the attendance of a baseball game, thought to be over 110,000. In May 2013, UEFA announced that the Olympiastadion Berlin will host the 2015 UEFA Champions League Final.
Information taken on en.wikipedia.org
- Upper Silesia
- other places
- single posts