The neo-Gothic Baroque building of the Imperial Post Office
Post office building was opened on 18 March 1911. Work began two years
before the demolition of old buildings. Construction costs totaled
280,000 and in addition 500,000 marks for equipment. The ceremonial
start of the imperial post in Zabrze held on 29 March 1911. In the main
hall there were eight service points and vending machines with stamps
and postcards. There were 110 post office box.
On October 16, 1921. in the post office at Bahnhofplatz (Dworcowy Square) was unveiled plaque dedicated to the nine postal workers who died in the First World War.
During the battles of Zabrze in January 1945, the post office building was badly damaged. Burned the roof, windows windows were destroyed and the interior vandalized and stolen everything valuable. Post Office paused for a while its activity. The first chief of temporary post in Zabrze was Jan plush, who along with 10 employed people, activity started from the roof and building repairs.
Department of receive and transmit shipments opened 1.04.1945r when the post office was re-instituted in Zabrze, from visitation the building has arrived then Minister for Posts and Telegraphs engineer Kapeliński. After finding that the object is still suited for postal activities on the day 12.04.1945r. started first automatic telephone exchange Zabrze 1. All this initial activity were held very makeshift. There was still no new laws or regulations. Performed simply verbal instructions managers.
Information taken from the site zabrze.aplus